St. Mary’s is a voluntary aided primary (4-11) co-educational day school attached to the Parish of St. Mary’s, Zetland Street, Dukinfield, Tameside in the Diocese of Shrewsbury. There are 210 pupils currently on roll (September 2014) and we have a standard number of 30 places per year group available.
The original St. Mary’s Primary School was opened in 1873 and closed in 1970. The second St Mary’s opened on Cheetham Hill Road in November 1970 and closed in December 2009. The current building was opened in January 2010 and was blessed by Bishop Brian Noble on 23rd April of that year.
There is a bright central hall, which is used for assemblies, lunch, physical education and other school activities. The school employs state of the art equipment in a modern setting in order to cater for pupils from Reception age to Year 6. We do not have our own Nursery but, instead, have a strong partnership with Acorn Nursery at Oakdale School, from where the majority of our Reception pupils transfer. A large minority come from a range of other Nursery providers.
We have a well-equipped central resource area which runs the whole length of the school and contains a school library, ICT resources and break-out areas for group work. A particular feature of St. Mary’s is the sports fields, wooded area and natural “open meadow” surroundings.
Many parents attended the school and indeed some grandparents have been pupils. The parish has a great pride in the school and one of its hallmarks is the quality of relationships which exist among staff, parents and parishioners.
St. Mary’s School has a long tradition of working in partnership with our parents.
For more information, download our School Brochure (document opens in new window).